Wednesday 15 February 2012

D.I.Y. : How to sew an Applique


Have you edged an Appliqué before? Would you like to do it yourself? 

Sara Arts - Handmade Cotton Appliques
Here I will show you how to decorate a table towel with one of my Appliqué. 
You will find it easy and extremely fast.








Sara Arts - D.I.Y. How to sew an applique

All what you need is: your iron, an old cotton cloth, some water, 
a basic sewing machine or instead needle and thread.

Sara Arts - D.I.Y. How to sew an applique step 1

I really love my new cheerful cotton appliqués, I have realized them recently,
and now I would like to dress a white towel with one of them. 


Sara Arts - D.I.Y. How to sew an applique 

Today I play with “Die Birne”. 
In the image below you can see my appliqué both sides. 
I add to all my appliqués backsides: Vliesofix® , that will help you to sew the final edge easily.

Sara Arts - Die Applikationen - handmade crocheted appliqués

Vliesofix® is adhesive on both sides. It looks like a transparent net with backing paper
 and add special glue to your fabrics in order to fix them where you like more. 
I am sure lots among you already know it, 
otherwise have a tour in Vlieseline web site and read more.


Until I do not remove the backing paper I can move my appliqué on the fabric 
to check the right position. 
This image shows you where I would like to fix it. 
The corner is perfect!!!!! 


Sara Arts - D.I.Y. How to sew an applique step 2

 In order to remember the right position on the towel several pins help me in this job!!!!


Sara Arts - D.I.Y. How to sew an applique step 2



Sara Arts - D.I.Y. How to sew an applique step 3



Sara Arts - D.I.Y. How to sew an applique step 4
 
Now it is time to prepare the damp cloth.....


Sara Arts - D.I.Y. How to sew an applique step 5

and remove the backing paper 
from “Die Birne” backside.

Sara Arts - D.I.Y. How to sew an applique step 6

Thanks to the pins I put my appliqué in the required position. 
Great work pins!!!

Add caSara Arts - D.I.Y. How to sew an applique step7

I remove all the pins,
 cover "Die Birne" with the damp cloth and
 iron pressing down step by step 10 seconds at a time. 


Sara Arts - D.I.Y. How to sew an applique step 8

The iron temperature must be medium or high.

Sara Arts - D.I.Y. How to sew an applique step 9
 
Let's leave the fused parts flat and allow them to cool for about 20 minutes.


Sara Arts - D.I.Y. How to sew an applique step 10

 
Finally I edge the appliqué with zig-zag stitching. 
I use a sewing machine to realize it, 
but if you prefer or do not have one:
 "Use needle and thread"


Sara Arts - D.I.Y. How to sew an applique step 11

This is how sew a appliqué in few steps, 
I hope you will find my D.I.Y. clear and useful
and see you soon!!!!!

If you like my Handmade Cotton Appliqués....find more info here

Sara Arts Facebook Page

love,
xx
Sara




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks to take your time and send me a comment. I will replay to you soon, come back and read my message.

If you like you may follow Sara Arts also via Facebook and Google+, join me and be connect. Help each other to spread out our love for Creativity and Arts!!!

If you are a blogger too, I look forward to have a tour in your "little world".
I love to hear from you!!!!

Xx
Sara Arts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...